Author Topic: How is revision 7 of this awsome emulator working out?  (Read 6197 times)

luckarusky

• View Profile
How is revision 7 of this awsome emulator working out?
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:40:31 AM »
Awesome emulator, I must say. I sent my positive opinion to the team by email. It's nearly all smooth play on my tablet, but not quite there. A little further optimization is needed to reach that performance and compatibility. With nothing on the announcement board, has anyone heard news of further developments towards a revision seven? Thanks in advance!

Update:  I just dug further, and found out there's a revision 7 beta being actively tested by people. It's in the air when that version will reach stable, but my base question is aptly answered. I'll look into possibly testing it out myself as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:46:53 AM by luckarusky »

skmp

• omgh4x00rz
  • Administrator
  • utopia is a state of mind
    • View Profile
Re: How is revision 7 of this awsome emulator working out?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
The team is having free time issues :p. I haven't had *nowhere near enough* time to fix things on the emulator core the past 9 months, and the rest of the team has been busy too. So things have been dragging along very slowly.

I'm looking into options on how to fund the project so that it gets regular releases and all, the "we'll donate our time when we have free time" thingy isn't working out anymore :). Stay tuned for updates!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:17:41 PM by skmp »

luckarusky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »
Well you most definitely have my money when I can afford it. I can't right now, but I'll let you know when I can. Hopefully that donation drive is hosted so others can donate too.  It's a good emulator, so I know you'll get funds to see the project refined. The result will be put to good use keeping the Dreamcast library alive.  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:41:20 AM by luckarusky »

shenmuefanboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »
Well you most definitely have my money when I can afford it. I can't right now, but I'll let you know when I can. Hopefully that donation drive is hosted so others can donate too.  It's a good emulator, so I know you'll get funds to see the project refined. The result will be put to good use keeping the Dreamcast library alive.  :)

I ready to donate NOW!!!

stodag

• Smile today, tomorrow could be worse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 09:29:56 PM »
cant we just donate streight to your paypal account if applicable?

skmp

• omgh4x00rz
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:14:27 AM »
It is sufficiently more complicated than that, as I have to print receipts and collect VAT (and a lot more things).

I've tried the simple "donate something" thingy before, and some great souls did donate. Nowhere near enough to make the project sustainable though -- over the entire lifetime of nulldc we had ~ 100 euros in general donations, some for the OpenPandora port (these were used to get a beagleboard, and that's how this project moved to arm), and ~ 200 for the ps3 donation drive. The ps3 port never got sufficiently good to be released, and the (il-)legalities of the SDKs made it hard.

If you divide all this by 3-4 years full-time work of a team of 2-3, it's 4 euros per month. Hardly sustainable.

My thoughts are on kickstarter as this can generate the momentum needed. That's the next thing on the radar after r7.

shenmuefanboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 03:35:10 AM »
kick starter would be awesome!!!

djricekcn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 02:14:19 AM »
I have nothing but horrible experiences on crowd funding so no crowd funding.  rather have advertisement on the application and make it PRO for ad-free.

skmp

• omgh4x00rz
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
I hate ads, and I'm don't really like the "pro/donation" version path. If crowdfunding doesn't work, then perhaps we'll try it that way.

bondobox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »
I think a pro or donate  reicast version would be smart.  Makes it real easy for people  to donate without having to take   any extra steps.  I make donations all the time this way because it's quick, simple, and cheap. I'm impressed with reicast and want to see it take off because it deserves it.   

Elwood_Blues

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
Guys. You might have noticed that the n64 glide64 developer Gonetz has just raised 8K $ on Indiegogo (he's russian so Kickstarter was not an option) just to develop a new N64 gpu PLUGIN?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gliden64-graphics-plugin

Granted, about 1000-2000$ came from Paul Lamb (Mupen64plus AE dev) who will probably benefit directly from this so it's more of an investment for him, but for the rest, well, the people voted with their money ;) and now Gonetz has about 6 months to work on the plugin without worrying about the rent;)

If he's succeded, I do not see a reason for you not to try? I know that you are a team, so several thousand dolars are not the same for you as they are for someone working alone, but just compare it to the ~300 EU you got in donations... this lame amount makes me feel ashamed I never donated to your cause, and I surely will support your crowdfunding efforts if you decide to do it.

Even if the outcome would only allow the team to concentrate work for several weeks on reicast, I bet you would make great progress compared to what is happening now.

luckarusky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »
I'm inclined to agree. Clearly the team wants to see this emulator further developed, and so do I. I would gladly pay for a donated version, and maybe even some extra within bounds of the funds I can spare.

bmw9413

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 03:41:50 AM »
Anyone know where I can get the r7 version? Have they fixed the virtual controls?