Author Topic: definitely need save state  (Read 11947 times)

cyclonmaster

• View Profile
definitely need save state
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:59:41 PM »
This emulator definitely need a save state implemented. It help a lot when we need to stop playing instantly on the phone and come back again continue playing later. Would be great too if there is built in cheat function.

gLoBe

• my Laziness is composed of roughly 23.1%-Eating, 40%-Gaming, 26.9%-Rest and 10%-Breathing
    • View Profile
Re: definitely need save state
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:31:56 PM »
* i second the cyclonmaster :)

* best to have a savestate,
* it doesnt feel like playing via emulator, if it doesnt have its own saving capabality.

* but on cheats, my opinion is to save that idea, for a later version. :)
* in my opinion. using cheats. kills the thrill.
Reality is a Lovely Place, but i Wouldn't Wanna Live There.

kiwi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:35:03 AM »
Hi,
I ever could imagine that it would be possible to play with Dreamcast games on my mobile.  :o

I mostly play in public transports but unfortunately my train takes 25 minutes to my destination (home/office) and it's too short to reach a save point in RE Code Veronica.  :'(
A save state is vital for me.

Please add this functionality.
Nexus 10 - Nexus 7 2013 - LG Optimus G

PsyMan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:06:38 AM »
Adding save-states has now become part of our road-map due to the sudden increase of cuteness in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:51:53 PM by PsyMan »

twistedumbrella

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:34:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/v/nnC3PZaiZPo

I think that about sums it up...

donkeyhigh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:45:52 AM »
Yay! Save states :-) the second it's implemented, my Resident Evil adventure starts :-D

Earth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »
* in my opinion. using cheats. kills the thrill.
Yet save states don't? Save-states essentially is cheating.

donkeyhigh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
Well, like kiwi said, many of us play while on public transport, then when we reach our destination, we have to quit. In games like Resident Evil, this would be a real hassle without savestates. There wouldn't be enough ink ribbons, and we would have to plan our way back to a typewriter so we make it there before our train stops..
It's all about how you use it. If you save before every new room you open, and load if you get damaged or waste ammo, that's your problem. I load at startup, and save on quit. Using the typewriters as normal. So if I die, I start where I saved ingame. My 2 cents or whatever.

skmp

• omgh4x00rz
  • Administrator
  • utopia is a state of mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »
Save states are on the list, but they are quire complicated technically (and even harder to maintain compatibility across different emulator versions). Also, the current codebase isn't save states friendly at all.

So, yes, but that'd be for some time in the future.

cyclonmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
I don't think savestate need to be compatibile with each version. To maintain it that way would be hard. PPSSPP savestate I remember not compatible with difference version. Still acceptable and pretty useful.

paradox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »
I always dread getting a call when i'm playing phantasy star online, you need to exit the game to save and that could be hours between playing, because the unlocked areas reset when you load the game up again, save states would be nice. not to mention being able to skip intros and stuff and go right to the menu.

calo712

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »
It would definitively be awesome to have this option... for now a workaround I found is just to have your phone in airplane mode when playing... no way to get a call like that  ;) ;D... need to call me??? call the house phone!!! lol

donkeyhigh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »
About not being compatible over different versions : my first thought was to freeze auto update in Google Play, and finish whatever game I'm currently playing before updating. Then make a backup with titanium backup before updating, in chase I want to go back to the previous version.

So don't worry about compatability over the different versions. A half broken savestate feature is better than none :-)

I'm not requesting anything, just hoping you'll take it into consideration :-)
But whatever happens, you are doing an amazing job with this emulator!

RickARM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:27:55 AM »
skmp: I agree with the other, skip backwards compability! When changing versions, saves can be handled with the ingame saves.

I would like to help to get the save states fixed, but from you answer I guess the data which needs to be saved in a save state is found on different parts of the code, thus it is not possible to just export some parts of the code which I could work on.

I guess you don't want to send me the complete source code (I wouldn't).......

cyclonmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 04:42:42 PM »
Still no save state :o
Looks like Demul still my primary Dreamcast emulator at this moment.